These references are from earlier versions of my (various) language proposals - they're here for the time being until I find somewhere more suitable...
Managing side effects
- An alternative approach to I/O, Maarten Fokkinga and Jan Kuper.
- Functional Pearl: On generating unique names, Lennart Augustsson, Mikael Rittri and Dan Synek.
- Unique Identifiers in Pure Functional Languages, Peter Divianszky.
- Reflections on leaving Haskell, Alson Kemp.
- Haskell Sucks!, Paul Bone.
- Non-Imperative Functional Programming, Nobuo Yamashita.
- Witnessing Side Effects, Tachio Terauchi and Alex Aiken.
- Assignments for Applicative Languages, Vipin Swarup, Uday S. Reddy and Evan Ireland.
- Imperative Functional Programming, Uday S. Reddy.
- Functional Programming with Side Effects, Mark B. Josephs.
- Lambda Calculus For Engineers, Pieter H. Hartel and Willem G. Vree.
- Call-by-Need Is Clairvoyant Call-by-Value, Jennifer Hackett and Graham Hutton.
- MTL style for free, Tom Ellis.
- On Zero-Side-Effect Interactive Programming, Actors, and FSMs, Sergey Ignatchenko.
- Functional I/O Using System Tokens, Lennart Augustsson.
- I/O Trees and Interactive Lazy Functional Programming, Samuel A. Rebelsky.
- Arborescent data structures and lazy evaluation: A new approach to numerical problems, Manuel Carcenac.