Google summer of code
The Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is an annual program funded by Google to allow hundreds of students around the world to participate in free or open source software.
GSoC is open to students using all kinds of technologies and each year we like to see many projects written in/for the Haskell programming language.
Some possibly useful links:
haskell.org: summer of code trac
reddit: haskell proposals
Gwern: Retrospectives 2006-2013
- 1 Accepted GSOC2015 projects
- 2 Accepted GSOC2013 projects
- 3 Accepted GSOC2011 projects
Accepted GSOC2015 projects
- A Strict language pragma for GHC - Adam Sandberg Eriksson <https://github.com/adamse>
- STM Data Structures Implementation <https://gist.github.com/Alllex/439480b7e80303f19ddc> - Alex Semin
- Implementation of Layered Gramamar of Graphics <https://gist.github.com/AjayRamanathan/c84a4641836700a2547b> - chinu <https://github.com/AjayRamanathan/Plot>
- Implementing Version Comparison for Cabal Packages - Craig Roche <https://github.com/cdxr>
- Improving Hackage Discoverability <http://dzackgarza.com/mockup/main.html> - D. Zack Garza <https://github.com/dzackgarza>
- Darcsden improvements <http://darcs.net/GSoC/2015-Darcsden> - Daniil Frumin <https://github.com/co-dan>
- Pursuit enhancements <https://gist.github.com/hdgarrood/0a389937149453c69e03> - Harry Garrood <https://github.com/hdgarrood>
- Improvements For HBLAS And Adding LAPACK Bindings. - JuejiYang
- A standalone functional parser for CommonMark <https://gist.github.com/Jubobs/7a9298eeaf02bcefbc35> - Julien Cretel <https://github.com/Jubobs>
- Refactor program with HLint suggestions <http://mpickering.github.io/gsoc2015.html> - Matthew Pickering <https://github.com/mpickering>
- Replication back-end for acid-state - Max Voit
- Native Haskell Type Encoding for LiquidHaskell <https://gist.github.com/spinda/b261167303515cc8a1d9> - Michael Smith <https://github.com/spinda>
- Exhaustiveness Checker for PureScript - Nicolas Del Piano <https://github.com/nicodelpiano>
- Fast splittable pseudorandom number generator for System.Random <https://gist.github.com/nkartashov/e46fd146b1df2d79aaf3> - Nikita Kartashov <https://github.com/nkartashov>
- Interactive widgets in IHaskell <https://github.com/sumitsahrawat/gsoc/blob/master/2015/ihaskell.pdf> - Sumit Sahrawat <https://github.com/sumitsahrawat>
- Improvements to yesod-devel - urbanslug <https://github.com/urbanslug>
- Implement nix-like package management features in cabal <https://gist.github.com/fugyk/37510958b52589737274> - Vishal Agrawal <https://github.com/fugyk>
- Haddock improvements - Łukasz Hanuszczak <https://github.com/mrhania>
Refactor program with HLint suggestions
My project was refactoring programs with hlint suggestions. I'm counting it as a success but I am waiting for a new release of HSE and hlint before making an announcement. We can apply almost all suggestions from hlint.
Interactive widgets in IHaskell
My project "Interactive widgets in IHaskell" was completed successfully. We'll be having a public announcement with an online demo on try.jupyter.org soon.
A Strict language pragma for GHC
Johan Tibell writes: I'm very happy with Adam's work strict Haskell. StrictData is already in HEAD and will be part of 8.0. Adam is working (as his studies permit) of finish the rest. Perhaps if we're really lucky we'll have the Strict pragma as well in 8.0.
Did Not Achieve Goals
Implementation of Layered Gramamar of Graphics
Last commit was made on 30 June 2015 and the README says
Working on a implementation of layered grammar of graphics. Work in progress, Nothing to see here, Move on.
It may be that this work has been subsumed here https://github.com/cchalmers/plots but I am not sure how to confirm this.
Accepted GSOC2013 projects
- Better record command for darcs
- Communicating with mobile devices
- Enhancing Darcsden
- Extending GHC to support building modules in parallel
- Improve Haddock Markup and Capabilities
- Haskell Qt Binding Generator and semi-automated C++ ffi wrapper (blog not live yet)
- Improve the feedback of the cabal-install dependency solver
- interactive-diagrams and a paste site with the ability for dynamic rendering of diagrams
- Overloaded record fields for GHC
- Parallelise 'cabal build'
- Port Charts to use Diagrams
Accepted GSOC2011 projects
- Alejandro Serrano : Improve EclipseFP
- Alexander Göransson: Simplified OpenGL bindings
- Anklesaria: Interpreter Support for the Cabal-Install Build Tool
- Jasper Van der Jeugt: Convert the text package to use UTF–8 internally
- Mikhail Glushenkov: Build multiple Cabal packages in parallel
- Owen Stephens: Darcs Bridge
- Petr Ročkai: Darcs: primitive patches version 3
Projects from other organizations related to haskell: