Internet Relay Chat is a worldwide text chat service with many thousands of users among various irc networks.
The Freenode IRC network has a #haskell channel, as of November 2005, we average about one hundred eighty people, and we have some excellent discussions. As of 2006-05 our high water mark is 217 unique clients (though that's including at least three bots, including Lambdabot).
Currently we have about half newbies learning from the experienced half, but any Haskell related conversation is welcome.
The IRC channel can be an excellent place to learn more about Haskell, and to just keep in the loop on new things in the Haskell world. Many new developments in the Haskell world first appear on the irc channel.
The #haskell channel appeared in the late 90s, and really got going in early 2001, with the help of Shae Erisson (aka shapr). At least a year earlier, in 2000, Julian Assange created irc.haskell.org, it seems not to have flourished.
If you point your irc client to chat.freenode.net and then join the #haskell channel, you'll be there.
In addition to the main Haskell channel there are also:
- #haskell.es - Spanish speakers
- #haskell.it - Italian speakers
- #haskell.se - Swedish speakers
- #haskell_ru - Russian speakers
- #gentoo-haskell - Gentoo/Linux specific
- #haskell-overflow - Overflow conversations
- #haskell-blah - Haskell people talking about anything except Haskell itself