abbot.galois.com is the current physical machine that hosts several widely used Haskell virtual hosts:
This page is intended to be the document that outlines the practices and procedures used to maintain abbot. Additionally, it may contain information about downtimes and upgrades.
abbot is an HP ProLiant DL12 G6 equipped with
- quad-core 2.40GHz Xeon X3430 processor
- 8 GB RAM
- 680GB RAID-1 filesystem
- Debian lenny amd64
Most user-maintained directory trees are backed up nightly: /etc, /home, /opt, /srv, /usr/local, and /var.
Questions or requests for help can be addressed to email@example.com.
Once someone has been approved for an account, the new user should submit three items:
- a preferred username
- a valid public SSH key: password logins are discouraged and may be disallowed in the future
- an e-mail address: abbot does not spool mail; outbound mail needs to be rewritten with a valid off-site address
When those are received, the account can be created:
- adduser --disabled-password --gecos "Full Name" newuser
- chmod -R go-rwx /home/newuser
- Add new user to any necessary supplementary groups: cvs, haskell, hackage, ...
- install public SSH key as /home/newuser/.ssh/authorized_keys
- add off-site e-mail address to /etc/aliases and /etc/email-addresses
A user password should only be created when that person needs sudo privileges.
Heinlein 18:03, 6 April 2010 (UTC)