m (→Use Guidelines)
m (→Use Guidelines)
Revision as of 23:41, 17 February 2007
Cabal-make is an include file for GNU make files to be used with Cabal in sharing Haskell packages. It is intended mainly for package authors. People who just build & install packages software can do so entirely with Cabal commands. In particular, it's a bit hairy to get the best results from Haddock & hscolour.
- Web-based, cross-package links in Haddock docs (documentation generated by Haddock).
- Syntax coloring via hscolour, with per-project CSS.
- Links from the Haddock docs to hscolour'd code (per-module, and per-entity).
- Links from Haddock docs to wiki-based user comment pages (per-project and per-module), with automatic subscription (for email notification).
- Set up with darcs repositories on http://darcs.haskell.org.
- Make distribution tarballs and install on server.
- Automated download and build in a fresh local temp directory for testing.
- Copy Haddock docs to server
- Generate editor tags files (via hasktags).
- Convert source files between dos-style and unix-style line endings.
3 Example use
On my Windows system, I've placed cabal-make at
c:\Haskell\cabal-make, and I like to install Haskell packages under
c:\Haskell\packages. I might write a
Makefile for the package TV as follows:
user = conal configure-dirs=--prefix=c:/Haskell/packages --datadir=c:/Haskell/packages haddock_interfaces=\ http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base,c:/ghc/ghc-6.6/doc/html/libraries/base/base.haddock \ http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/mtl,c:/ghc/ghc-6.6/doc/html/libraries/mtl/mtl.haddock \ http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/DeepArrow/doc/html,c:/Haskell/packages/DeepArrow-0.0.1/doc/html/DeepArrow.haddock include c:/Haskell/cabal-make/cabal-make.inc
I don't like wiring the interface paths (especially with version numbers) into my makefile, but I don't know how to avoid it. Suggestions, please.
To build TV, I run "
make" with targets like "
doc", and "
install". Or "
all" (default) for all of these targets.
darcs-repo: makes a repository at http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/TV
darcs-tag: do "
darcs tag" using current version (extracted from project Cabal file)
darcs-dist: make a tarball and copy to server
web-doc: copy docs & colored sources to the server
test-get-build: Test by doing "
darcs get", configure, and build in a fresh temp directory
The target "
watch-comments" sets up a subscription to the Haskell wiki talk pages that correspond to the package's modules (for the user comment links inserted in the Haddock docs.)
There are a few other targets as well. See the source.
I use a trick for collecting my favorite setting to be saved across my own
packages. The file is called "
user = conal cabal-make = c:/Haskell/cabal-make configure-dirs = --prefix=c:/Haskell/packages --datadir=c:/Haskell/packages hscolour-css = $(cabal-make)/hscolour.css include $(cabal-make)/cabal-make.inc
Then I just have to define
haddock_interfaces and include
my-cabal-make. My TV
Makefile is really
haddock_interfaces=\ http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base,c:/ghc/ghc-6.6/doc/html/libraries/base/base.haddock \ http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/mtl,c:/ghc/ghc-6.6/doc/html/libraries/mtl/mtl.haddock \ http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/DeepArrow/doc/html,c:/Haskell/packages/DeepArrow-0.0.1/doc/html/DeepArrow.haddock include ../my-cabal-make.inc
- Recent Cabal (1.1.8 or better, or get the latest from Cabal darcs repo)
- Recent Haddock (0.8.1 or better, or latest from Haddock darcs repo)
- GNU make
6 Use Guidelines
- In order for cabal-make to work, you have to list each of your source modules on a line by itself, including the first one in the list (instead of placing it aside the Cabal directive). You can use "
make show-modules" to see if your list of source modules is extracted correctly.
- Cabal-make assumes your source code to be under
7 Get it
darcs get --partial http://darcs.haskell.org/cabal-make
There are several customization variables defined in cabal-make that can be overriden. Simply define these variables in your makefile before "
cabal-make.inc". See the "Settings" section of the source.
9 To do
- Eliminate hard-wiring the interface paths into my makefile.