Hac 2007 II
Hac 07 II: Haskell Hackathon
October 5-7, 2007
University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
The 3rd Haskell Hackathon will be held over 3 days, October 5-7 2007, at the University of Freiburg, in conjunction with the Haskell Workshop and ICFP 2007. It is a coding festival, focusing on producing and improving Haskell libraries, tools and infrastructure.
To attend please register, and get ready to hack!
Note: that it is not necessary to register for ICFP, or any of the associated conferences, if you only want to go to the Hackathon. The Hackathon itself will be free, but you will have to pay for travel, accommodation and food.
If you will be attending add your name to the Registration page. Numbers may be limited, depending on availablity of space.
The Hackathon will take place at the same venue as the IFL workshop, at the Faculty of Applied Sciences of the University of Freiburg. The room is 02-016 in building 101.
You can reach the hackathon venue from the main train station by taking the "Breisgau S-Bahn" from "Freiburg - Hbf." to "FR Messe/Universit�t". Here is a timetable (pdf). Please note that most but not all trains stop at the hackathon venue. Also, some trains only run Monday to Friday ("Montag - Freitag") or on Saturday ("Samstag").
Alternatively, you can walk from the city center to the hackathon (20 - 30 minutes). The map shows the exact route.
The Hackathon will be integrated with the university summer campus. This will give us all the infrastructure (room, Internet, etc) at minimal hassle. Note: There won't be any stationary PCs, so you should bring a laptop with you.
For local information (travel, accommodation etc) see the ICFP local info page.
Hac 2007 II will take place on Fri 5 Oct to Sun 7 Oct. The following table shows the workshops and conferences held in Freiburg during the ICFP period:
|Thu 27 Sep||IFL|
|Fri 28 Sep||IFL|
|Sat 29 Sep||IFL|
|Sun 30 Sep||HW, Scheme|
|Mon 1 Oct||ICFP|
|Tue 2 Oct||ICFP|
|Wed 3 Oct||ICFP|
|Thu 4 Oct||CUFP, MM|
|Fri 5 Oct||Hac 2007 II, Erlang, ML, PV|
|Sat 6 Oct||Hac 2007 II|
|Sun 7 Oct||Hac 2007 II|
The Hackathon will, tentatively, be held from 10am to 6pm each day, with dinner after at local venues.
What to bring
- A laptop
- Wireless cards
- Power adaptors if necessary
- Ethernet cable
Before you arrive
- Pick out a couple of projects to work on and familiarise yourself with them
- Install an up to date Haskell toolchain.
Projects to work on
Add ideas here for which you think hacking together as a group (rather than individually) would be beneficial.
- Building tests that give 100% code coverage for package base.
- Lots of Cabal hacking still to be done
- Bindings for <your favourite C library>
- Haskell library for <your favourite task>
- Bit layer on Data.Binary 1.0
- bytestring parsec
- combine strictcheck and quickcheck once and for all
- darcs hacking
- aggressive inlining for mtl?
- Data.ByteString.Sequence - a ropes-alike lib based on specialised finger trees
- Data.ByteString.Rope, based on
- SGIs ropes or new ocaml ropes
- bit parsing layer for Data.Binary and a network protocol demo?
- dons: HPC coverage for bytestring 1.0
- pretty printer-based ncurses interface
- integrate darcs-piegraph and darcs-graph
- improve the performance of DiffArray using modern techniques OCaml impl.
- New hs-plugins on top of ghc-api.
- Fast general, pure-Haskell image synthesis (speed of Pan or Pajama but via ghc).
The organisers for the Hackathon are:
The organisers can be contacted via:
The local organisers in Freiburg:
- Stefan Wehr
- Phillip Heidegger
Courtesy of the Programming Languages Group at the University of Freiburg.
A Hackathon IRC channel has been set up. Visit:
Previous Haskell hackathons
Hac 07 II is (unofficially) colocated with ICFP and other conferences:
|Haskell Workshop||September 30|
- AJG: What can Galois do to help?
- If there's anything that Credit Suisse can do to support the Hackathon, please let me know - 
The Freiburg background is available under the GNU Free Documentation License, from wikipedia.