This wiki site is supposed to be the place containing all the possible information and documentation for Himerge
- 1 Latest Release (Beta)
- 2 News
- 3 FAQs
- 3.1 What does Himerge really/exactly stands for?
- 3.2 How do I install Himerge?
- 3.3 Every time I try to search for a package I receive the 'Package not found' error
- 3.4 I get a 'System.Glib error' when trying to run Himerge
- 3.5 Why the web links don't open in my favorite browser?
- 3.6 Why do I need to click twice on the packages web link to launch the browser?
- 3.7 The toolbar buttons title doesn't shows and I get an 'sh: kde-config: command not found' everytime I start Himerge
- 3.8 Himerge with Firefox 3
Latest Release (Beta)
Himerge version 0.22 released on Aug, 28, 2008.
You always can check the latest himerge screen-shot from this link
- Himerge version 0.30 is available in the overlay, newest features are: users now can use himerge without root access, a list of command line options.
- Himerge is featured in the LinuxIdentity magazine.
What does Himerge really/exactly stands for?
It technically stands for "Haskell Interface for eMerge" ; though I personally can also think about some funny terms like:
- Hi 'emerge' - High-Emerge - Himerge Is (only) emerge
How do I install Himerge?
Since emerge is the Gentoo package manager, these instructions are unlikely to work on any other distro/OS unless of course you have installed prefixed portage.
You need to unmask several packages, by putting the following in /etc/portage/package.keywords to run the 'unstable' branch. Note that these are actually developed in the haskell overlay before moving to the portage tree.
# haskell dev-lang/ghc dev-haskell/cabal # haskell deps dev-haskell/mtl dev-haskell/filepath dev-haskell/regex-base dev-haskell/regex-posix dev-haskell/regex-compat # himerge app-portage/himerge dev-haskell/parallel dev-haskell/gtk2hs
If you're currently running stable ghc, you should upgrade ghc first and then run ghc-updater. Either way, it would be good to emerge ghc first, then emerge himerge.
Every time I try to search for a package I receive the 'Package not found' error
Himerge uses eix for searching packages in the tree, so every time you sync, you also need to update the eix database. After a sync just do Ctrl+U or go to the "Tools -> Update Eix" option in the main menu bar to solve it.
Note: The eix database is automatically updated after every sync operation since Himerge version 0.17.3.
I get a 'System.Glib error' when trying to run Himerge
Check out that you have run the script install_data.sh as explained in the readme.txt installation instructions.
Himerge uses the gecko engine of gtkmozembed internally for the web panel, which makes firefox or firefox-alike packages a requirement for the system, so it makes sense to have firefox as the default browser.
This is a work-around due to a gtkmozembed bug, probably related to gtk2hs too. The problem has already been reported and probably will have a fix in the near future.
This is a qt-engine known issue that affects gtk. The solution is to change the gtk-engine you are using to other different than 'qt' or 'qt-curve'.
Himerge with Firefox 3
The Firefox 3 package doesn't contain anymore the gtkmozembed library, you will need to re-install gtk2hs and Himerge with the 'xulrunner' USE flag enabled.