Internet Relay Chat is a worldwide text chat service with many thousands of users among various irc 'networks.
The Freenode IRC network has a #haskell channel, as of November 2005, we average about one hundred eighty people, and we have some excellent discussions. As of 2006-01 our high water mark is 206 unique clients (though that's including at least three bots, including Lambdabot).
Currently we have about half newbies learning from the experienced half, but any Haskell related conversation is welcome.
The IRC channel can be an excellent place to learn more about Haskell, and to just keep in the loop on new things in the Haskell world. Many new developments in the Haskell world first appear on the irc channel.
The #haskell channel was founded in the early 2001 by Shae Erisson (aka shapr).
If you point your irc client to irc.freenode.net and then join the #haskell channel, you'll be there.
In addition to the main Haskell channel there are also:
- #haskell.es - Spanish speakers
- #haskell.it - Italian speakers
- #haskell.se - Swedish speakers
- #gentoo-haskell - Gentoo/Linux specific
- #haskell-overflow - Overflow conversations
- #haskell-blah - Haskell people talking about anything except Haskell itself
Logs are kept at a few places, including tunes.org