Revision as of 19:13, 27 December 2006
A very simple terminal interface library.
In 150 non-blank non-comment lines of Haskell (and 7 lines of C) vty provides:
- Automatic handling of suspend/resume (SIGTSTP+SIGCONT)
- Automatic handling of window resizes
- Automatic computation of minimal differences
- Minimizes repaint area, thus virtually eliminating the flicker problem that plagues ncurses programs
- Automatically decodes keyboard keys into (key,[modifier]) tuples
- Automatically supports refresh on Ctrl-L.
- Automatically supports timeout after 50ms for lone ESC (a barely noticable delay)
- Interface is designed for relatively easy compatible extension.
- No current support for non-ANSI terminals.
- Minimal support for special keys on terminals other than the linux-console. (F1-5 and arrow keys should work, but anything shifted isn't likely to.)
- Uses the TIOCGWINSZ ioctl to find the current window size, which appears to be limited to Linux and *BSD.
darcs get --tag=rel-1.0 http://members.cox.net/stefanor/vty
To compile the demonstration program: ghc --make Test.hs gwinsz.c