Revision as of 15:22, 25 November 2011
- Thanks. --Gwern 03:02, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Ashley, is Checkuser installed? I tried Special:Checkuser which is where the MW docs say it should be, but that's an error. --Gwern 04:14, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Neither one seems to work. Are you sure we have checkuser working? --Gwern 16:12, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
Hello--just FYI, I noticed a bunch of spam accounts getting created today (User:Buyclomipramine, User:Buyzyvox and the like). I see from some other talk pages that you're already aware of the issue. The folks on #haskell seem to agree that a simple captcha might cut down on such nonsense. The current sign-up procedure is pretty easy, and I don't think it's too much to ask for new contributors to (say) "Use GHCI to find out the type of this Haskell expression" before creating an account :-) Best regards, Wapcaplet 17:18, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Probably. However, I don't have access to that part of the configs - Ashley does. If you want to suggest to Ashley we turn back on either requesting via email accounts or enable CAPTCHAs, then I wouldn't oppose it. However, supposedly they're busy working on an upgrade, so it might be better to let them focus on that. --Gwern 02:58, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
- BTW, it doesn't actually help to revert or blank spam anywhere except the main articlespace. It just clutters up the RCs and makes it harder for me to quickly navigate the forms. --Gwern
- Duly noted. If it happens again, I'll ignore it unless they replace the main page or any other real content. Wapcaplet 18:28, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
The Amanoliu user should be blocked for page removal. Thanx Dan
Agree with all your points, Gwern. Probably I have overreacted, somehow. And you have, also, noticed the cause and pasted that paragraph, at the bottom of that discussion page: High pression caused by extra short deadlines and overloading, which actually is repeating anually, well, I do not know on what base. The calendar, :) I presume.
On the other side I did not belive that users with basically no contribution and censorship based activity , will feel a one week blockage as a big problem.
Opening a blog or other site about unethical conduct in Universities, non scientific promotion, plagiarism is a good idea.
Thank you and keep in touch,
- It may not be a big problem for them but it accomplished its purpose, ending the edit-warring. --Gwern 15:38, 21 November 2011 (UTC)
3.2 Why mentioning anyone who encourage learning ?
Because every year, in january, there is a session of exams, and on the banner you, and everybody can read something like: "X is whishing you good teachers and real (i.e. not fake) exams !" Should a teacher be a propagandist for culture and learning,or not ? Should be an equidistant person a propagandist for teaching, learning and fair exams,or not ? Oh Gwern, if by any chance YOU or anybody else had said "Teach Haskell and have good marks on your exams !" on a TV channel, at a maximum audience hour, probably that banner will be on the banners page. In my opinion such a message deserves to be. In fact you have hosted such messages like "Learn Haskell for the Great God !" I may ask myself, in the same style: Is the haskell.org website a religious community ? Why did it is hosting messages about God ?
And now, you know the right answer of both questions raised in the begining : Because we are encouraging people to use a good language, and anybody can join us, saying: "Learn Haskell ! Pass your exams ! Let you have real serious teachers !" In the spirit of free speech. of course. If you can provide a banner: Gwern said "Students have to study and pass the exams!" it is also usable.Anyway would you like to make a banner ?
Happy hunting and checking, If any doubt do not hesitate to ask for help, translations etc. Sincerely yours Ha$kell
And,please, put this idea in it's place: a user said you may have banners promoting the study and especially the study of Haskell ? What the other users said ?