Difference between revisions of "Xmonad/Notable changes since 0.8"
|Line 100:||Line 100:|
* Util.Paste -- For pasting strings to windows
* Util.Paste -- For pasting strings to windows
* Util.NamedScratchpad allows multiple summon/banishable application windows each with its own float configuration.
Revision as of 18:54, 31 May 2009
This page is for keeping a record of significant changes in darcs xmonad and xmonad-contrib since the 0.8 release.
(0.8.1 was a maintenance release, with no changes to user functionality. It simply includes ghc-6.10.1 related updates and workaround for 64-bit users building xmonad-contrib on ghc-6.10.1.)
The idea is to put here a list of things which a user upgrading from 0.8 to 0.9 might like to know, so that they are sure to be included in the 0.9 release notes.
Changes to the xmonad core
- Spawned processes are now handled by xmonad. Using 'exec xmonad' in startup files now "does the right thing."
- New --restart command line flag to restart a running xmonad process.
- Focus changes across screens with mouse, even for empty workspaces.
- XMonad now exports (.|.), no need to import Data.Bits.
- StackSet exports focusUp', focusDown' for Stack in addition to focusUp/Down StackSet versions.
handleEventHook:: Event -> X Allfield supporting custom event hooks. The function should return (All True) to have the default handler run afterward. (See Graphics.X11.Xlib.Extras Event, Core.hs, Main.hs)
- X is now typeable. (Enables Language.Haskell.Interpreter, i.e.
hintintegration, see xmonad-eval project below.)
Changes to xmonad-contrib
Modules formerly using Hooks.EventHook now use Event from core. Note: EwmhDesktops users must change configuration by adding a handleEventHook to XConfig.
- Actions.CycleWS now includes HiddenWS type.
- Actions.Submap now supports a default action, enabling looping to, e.g., set volume, or use an explicit 'exit submap' key.
- Actions.Plane has a planeKeys function to automatically set up default workspace navigation.
- Actions.Search has more searches.
- Actions.WindowBringer now works with external programs other than dmenu, such as nafai's gtkmenu
- Actions.CopyWindow has new runOrCopy
- Actions.WindowGo has raiseMaster variant of runOrRaiseMaster
- Hooks.EwmhDesktops requires new handleEventHook = ewmhDesktopsEventHook, added to defaultConfig.
- Hooks.DynamicLog module has a new 'statusBar' function to simplify status bar configuration. Similar 'dzen' and 'xmobar' quick bar functions have changed type to allow better compositionality.The 'dynamicLogDzen' and 'dynamicLogXmobar' have been removed.
- Hooks.UrgencyHook now can be configured with reminders at intervals, and urgency can be cleared with a keybinding even without "visiting" the urgent window.
- Layout.Grid has configurable aspect ratio.
- Layout.Master is now a layout modifier rather than layout; backward compatible with old Master.
- Util.EZConfig includes <Print>, and on systems with X11 that supports them, multimedia keys.
- Util.Scratchpad has general spawn action allowing user to specify how to set resource to "scratchpad", allows use of gnome-terminal, etc. as scratchpads. Also new NamedScratchpad module now allows multiple summon/banishable applications.
- Util.WindowProperties has general getProp32* helpers and doc improvements
- Util.XSelection has new functions to allow transforming the selection before acting on it.
- Config.Kde has optional KDE 4 specific settings.
- XMonad.Prompt has more tab completion settings, configurable history filter, several bug fixes.
New contrib modules
- Actions.GridSelect -- Graphically go to, select, do things with windows. With additional colourizers and documentation.
- Actions.SpawnOn -- Binding actions, hook, and prompts to spawn on given or current workspace.
- Actions.WithAll -- apply functions to all windows on a workspace.
- Actions.CycleWindows -- cycle recent windows, cycle custom window order, focus nth window, change focused or unfocused window order. Esp. useful with layouts that hide some windows.
- Layout.CenteredMaster -- Sort of a combination of Master's mastered modifier with Magnifier, adding a master frame above tiled windows that is centered or at the top right of the screen.
- Layout.Cross -- Similar to Circle, but with a resizable center pane. Limits visible windows to five. Cycles the focused window into the main window keeping visible two above and two below in stack order.
- Layout.FixedColumn -- Neat variation on Tall, using window hints to decide master width, e.g. have your terminal automatically be 80 columns wide in the master.
- Layout.GridVariants -- More customizable Grid, and very fine SplitGrid, see xm-contrib documentation (once 0.9 is released)
- Layout.IndependentScreens -- Utilities to simulate dwm's screen model, where each physical screen has its own set of the defined workspaces.
- Layout.Monitor -- Many useful functions for gkrellm, clock, widget type windows
- Layout.TabbedModifier -- (not yet applied see darcswatch for patch) Experimental layout modifier to tab windows within frames (panes) of an "outer" layout.
- Layout.ThreeColumnsMiddle -- Master in center three column layout
- Layout.Mosaic -- Very versatile, easy to configure, fun layout that can yield anything from Full to TwoPane to Spiral to Grid. It sizes panes based on the relative sizes of a list of numbers. The number of visible windows is limited to the number of list elements.
- Util.Paste -- For pasting strings to windows.
- Util.NamedScratchpad allows multiple summon/banishable application windows each with its own float configuration.
- Config.PlainConfig is now a separate project, shepheb's xmonad-light.
xmonad-light allows using a limited version of xmonad without having to have ghc installed. It provides a special syntax to customize a few common options using xmonad.conf instead of xmonad.hs.
For users of >=ghc-6.10, the hlint package parses haskell source and offers suggestions on how to improve it.