Xmonad/Notable changes since 0.8
< XmonadJump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 12:59, 29 January 2009 by Sereven (talk | contribs) (→New contrib modules: Add details; SpawnOnWorkspace, Azerty, Mosaic w/out description)
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.
This page is for keeping a record of significant changes in darcs xmonad and xmonad-contrib since the 0.8 release. (0.8.1 was a maintenance release, with no changes to user functionality. It simply includes ghc-6.10.1 related updates and workaround for 64-bit users building xmonad-contrib on ghc-6.10.1.)
The idea is to put here a list of things which a user upgrading from 0.8 to 0.9 might like to know, so that they are sure to be included in the 0.9 release notes.
Changes to the xmonad core
- Spawned processes are now handled by xmonad. Using 'exec xmonad' in .xsession/.xinitrc
files now "does the right thing."
Changes in xmonad-contrib
New contrib modules
- Actions.GridSelect -- graphically go to, select, do things with windows
- Config.Azerty -- ready made key bindings for AZERTY keyboard layout users
- Layout.Monitor -- Many useful functions for gkrellm, clock, widget type windows
- Layout.FixedColumn -- like Tall, but using window hints to decide master width
- Layout.GridVariants -- customizable Grid, and TallGrid
- Layout.ThreeColumnsMiddle -- master in center three column layout
- Layout.CenteredMaster -- somewhat like a combination of Master.mastered and Magnifier, adding a master pane that is either centered or at the top right of the screen.
- Util.Paste -- for pasting strings to windows
- DynamicLog module has a new 'statusBar' function to simplify status bar configuration. Similar 'dzen' and 'xmobar' quick bar functions have changed type to allow better compositionality.The 'dynamicLogDzen' and 'dynamicLogXmobar' have been removed.
- Config.Kde has optional KDE 4 specific settings.
- Util.XSelection has new functions to allow transforming the selection before acting on it.
- XMonad.Prompt has more tab completion settings, history filter.
- Actions.Search has more searches.