- How do I install yi?
- get it from hackage. Configure, compile and install yi as you would do for any other Cabal package.
- Setup.hs does not compile!
- You need to use Cabal version 1.2.3. To make sure you use it, do:
ghc -package Cabal-188.8.131.52 --make Setup.hs ./Setup configure ...
- Setup configure fails with
"Setup.hs: Package yi-0.3 can't be built on this system."
- it means that you have no UI package available. You need vty or gtk2hs installed. Get them from hackage.
- On Mac OS X if you get an error message similar to this:
yi: can't load .so/.DLL for: gthread-2.0 (dlopen(libgthread-2.0.dylib, 10): image not found)
- then your dynamic library search path variable is probably not set correctly. You can set it (in bash) using:
- (Adjust the specific path to your system. You can find the right location using locate libgthread)
- ByteString problems: Yi as of 27 January 2008 cannot use the most recent ByteString library (because of the regexp libraries) which is 0.9.0.4 - it needs a version like 0.9 or 0.9.0.1. You may have the correct ByteString library installed, but still see an error like:
Couldn't match expected typewithStyle sty str = renderBS (styleToAttr sty) (B.pack str)
against inferred type `B.ByteString'
In the second argument of `renderBS', namely `(B.pack str)'
In the expression: renderBS (styleToAttr sty) (B.pack str)
In the definition of `withStyle':
- This is because versions of ByteString often aren't compatible, and in this case, the VTY library was compiled with a different version.
- I get "No instance for (RegexLike Regex B.ByteString)"
- It *could* be that the regex-instance in your bytestring package ther is only an instance for the newer regex-package. That is, your newly installed regex-posix-0.72.0.2 doesn't "see" the ByteString instance, because it was only defined for the regex-posix-0.93.1 package that bytestring knew about when it was built. This is yet another aspect of a known, tricky Cabal bug.