Applications and libraries
Applications, libraries and tools written in Haskell.
Developers: if you release any Haskell code, please document it for the community, by adding it to the appropriate category on this page.
The first places to look for data types or functions are:
- The Haskell 98 Prelude
- Haskell 98 language and library specification
- The Haskell Hierarchical Libraries bundled with Haskell implementations
- Hoogle - the Haskell API Search Engine, indexing the above libraries
- The Hackage database - a collection of released Haskell packages
HackageDB is the new central database for 3rd party Haskell packages. Look here for stable versions of common libraries. Developers: upload your cabalised packages to hackageDB (if you don't have a login, just ask). Recent packages uploaded to HackageDB.
Haskell applications and libraries
Applications, libraries and tools for Haskell or written in Haskell:
- Audio, music and sound
- Concurrency and parallelism
- Compilers and interpreters
- Compiler construction, lexing, parsing, pretty printing
- Cryptography and hashing
- Data Structures and IO Libraries
- Database interfaces
- Editors written in Haskell and editors for Haskell.
- Extended Haskell
- Generic programming
- Genetic programming
- Graphical User Interface Libraries
- Hardware verification
- Linguistics and natural language processing
- Mathematics and physics
- Operating systems and systems programming (also emulators)
- Program development
- Theorem provers
- Tools for interfacing with other languages
- Web, HTML, XML
Other places to look include:
- The Library hierarchy page on this wiki
- The Haskell community reports
- The archives of the Haskell Weekly News
- The mailing list for discussion of issues related to libraries.
- freshmeat.net has an alternative list of software written in Haskell
Guidelines for developers
- How to write a new Haskell library
- Creating a .deb from a Haskell Cabal package
- Creating a Haskell library by example
- Guide to making standard library submissions
- If you notice the library documentation is lacking, or could be improved, please report it here
- Google Code Search can help identify common idioms, improving your API
- Wanted libraries: if you can't find a library for a problem, document it here, and someone might write it.
- Project activity for some of the larger Haskell projects is graphed here.
- Cabal, The Common Architecture for Building Applications and Libraries, is a framework for packaging, building, and installing any tool developed in the Haskell language.
Proposals for the module name space layout that can be used to guide the construction of new libraries.
Libraries for other languages
If you are thinking about designing a new library for Haskell, you ought to look what has been done in other languages. Here are standard library definitions for