Applications and libraries/Music and sound
This page contains a list of libraries and tools in a certain category. For a comprehensive list of such pages, see Applications and libraries.
- hmp3 is a curses-based mp3 player frontend to mpg321 and mpg123. It is written in Haskell. It is designed to be simple, fast and robust. It's very stable, with one instance running for several months.
- Minstrel is a curses frontend to the GStreamer library written in Haskell.
- A console frontend to the xine library
- A console (TUI) music player based on afplay
- A library for handling the Ogg container format. Note that this just deals with the Ogg container, not with the contained Vorbis audio or Theora video etc. Includes a commandline tool (hogg) for querying files, merging and ripping tracks, hexdumping packets and pages and so on.
- Tidal Cycles (or just Tidal for short) is software for making patterns with code, whether live coding music at algoraves or composing in the studio.
- The Haskore Computer Music System
- Haskore is a collection of Haskell modules designed for expressing musical structures in the high-level, declarative style of functional programming. Haskore is a means for describing music - in particular Western Music - rather than sound. It is not a vehicle for synthesizing sound produced by musical instruments, for example, although it does capture the way certain (real or imagined) instruments permit control of dynamics and articulation. Haskore compositions can be translated into various audible formats like MIDI, CSound and SuperCollider. (Former versions in LISP could generate traditional notation output, but this is currently not available in the Haskell version.)
- Haskore related projects
- A set of Haskell modules written on top of Haskore to make it easier to sequence simple, repetitive music.
- MIDI processing libraries, both for MIDI file handling and real-time MIDI
- Haskell Offline Music Manipulation And Generation EDSL - a highly experimental sound production library.
- Harmony Analysis and Retrieval of Music with Type-level Representations of Abstract Chords Entities
- Signal processing coded in Haskell. Contains also some matrix and stochastic computations which are required for signal processing.
- Now managed with darcs repository, shipped via Hackage.
- Synthesizer library
- Signal processing related to audio effects coded in plain Haskell. There is both a low-level interface and a framework for automatical inference of sample rate and amplitude of signals in a sound processing network. This generalizes the usual restricted splitting into audio rate and control rate signals. There is an interface for using synthesized sounds for rendering Haskore music. Recent versions require Numeric Prelude. See an early paper on the concepts. Highly experimental.
- Modular synthesizer using Yampa. Can process SoundFont files. There was a presentation at Haskell Workshop 2007 in Freiburg, Germany, of which a video was recorded.
- Partial implementation of the MIDI 1.0 standard to communicate with physical or virtual MIDI devices
- A Haskell Binding for OpenAL and ALUT. The goal of this project is to provide a binding for OpenAL, a cross-platform 3D audio API, appropriate for use with gaming applications and many other types of audio applications.
- Contains bindings to libSDL, libSDL_gfx, libSDL_image, libSDL_mixer and libSDL_ttf.
- SuperCollider by Rohan Drape
- Interface to the realtime software synthesizer SuperCollider. Experimental. Includes widely useful OpenSoundControl module.
- Wrapper around the WebRTC Voice Activity Detection library
- A port of LADSPA (Linux Audio Developer's Simple Plugin API) to Haskell. Still highly experimental. The project can be regarded as an example of how to create plugins and shared libraries in Haskell without making use of hs-plugins.
- MPD client library
- A client library for controlling an MPD server.
- OpenAL (short for Open Audio Library) is a library for creation of a virtual 3D world of sound.
Different sound libraries use different in-memory data formats. For a summary by category, see Sound data structures.