Real World Haskell
- Real World Haskell, Paperback: 700 pages, O'Reilly, November 2008, English, ISBN-10: 0596514980, ISBN-13: 978-0596514983
This easy-to-use, freely available online, fast-moving tutorial introduces you to functional programming with Haskell. Learn how to use Haskell in a variety of practical ways, whether it's for short, script-like programs or large and demanding applications. Written for experienced programmers, Real World Haskell takes you through the basics of functional programming at a brisk pace, and helps you increase your understanding of Haskell in real-world issues like I/O, performance, dealing with data, concurrency, and more as you move through each chapter.
With this book, you will:
- Understand the difference between procedural and functional programming
- Learn about Haskell's compiler, interpreter, values, simple functions, and types
- Find your way around Haskell's library -- and write your own
- Use monads to express I/O operations and changes in state
- Interact with databases, parse files and data, and handle errors
- Discover how to use Haskell for systems programming
- Learn concurrency and parallel programming with Haskell
You'll find plenty of hands-on exercises, along with examples of real Haskell programs that you can modify, compile, and run. If you've never used a functional language before, and want to understand why Haskell is now coming into its own as a practical language in so many major organizations, Real World Haskell is the place to start.
1 Web Sites
- Book homepage
- twitter page
- Real World Haskell Book Club - a mailing list and discussion group for people that are reading the book
- Source code from the book
RWH is licensed under a Creative Commons Non-Commercial license. This permits derivative works under the same license, such as translations.
- Real World Haskell (jp) O'Reilly published a Japanese translation in 2009.
(Previously there was a link here to a machine-translated Japanese version available online, but the link is now dead. Please edit this if know where to find it.)