Cabal/How to install a Cabal package
< Cabal(Difference between revisions)
m (How to install a Cabal package moved to Cabal/How to install a Cabal package)
Revision as of 18:22, 15 February 2007
You've found an interesting Haskell package on HackageDB. How do you install it on your system?
- Check whether the package came with your Haskell implementation.
- If your operating system has a packaging system (e.g. most Linux or BSD distributions), check whether it is already packaged there.
- Otherwise, you'll have to build and install the package. A program to automate this process, called cabal-install, is under development. In the meantime, you'll have to do it manually:
- First, ensure that all the packages it depends on are installed (by following these instructions recursively).
- Unpack the tar file (yes, this assumes a Unix system; sorry about that):
tar xzf PACKAGE-VERSION.tar.gz
- Move into the directory this creates:
- This directory should contain a file
Setup.lhs. Execute the following commands for the appropriate file (see the Cabal documentation for more details):
runghc Setup.hs configure
runghc Setup.hs build
runghc Setup.hs install