Default method implementation
Revision as of 15:42, 13 November 2006 by Lemming
It's always a design question, whether to provide default implementions of methods of Type classes and how to desing them.
Here are some suggestions:
- Make only trivial default implementations.
- Check, that default implementations does not introduce type class dependencies, that are not necessary otherwise
- E.g. if you have a constraint, but noMonadconstraint, then useFunctorinstead ofliftM.fmap
- If you have the choice, whether to implement the method default by custom code or by calling other methods of the same class, call methods of the same class. This reduces the amount of implementation work for class instances.
- E.g. the default methods of the class providing ,divMod, anddivshould implement the defaults, wheremodcallsdivModanddivand vice versa.mod
- Do not try to implement by repeated subtraction or so.mod
- Document which methods must be implemented at least.
- E.g. "instances must implement or (divModanddiv)"mod
- Instance implementations should not call other methods of the same class with respect to instantiated type.