This page and the #haskell-game IRC channel are the starting points for everyone interested in doing game development with Haskell. You may also wish to join the Games group on haskellers.com, or the Haskell game development subreddit.
There are quite a lot of games, unfinished libraries, and interested people out there - please gather links here and join us on #haskell-game !
Games and game engines
- Other game-related wiki pages: category:Games
Other supporting software
- grid provides tools for working with regular arrangements of tiles, such as might be used in a board game or self-organising map (SOM). Grid currently supports triangular, square, and hexagonal tiles, with various 2D and toroidal layouts (description).
Articles and blog posts
- Writing a game in Haskell (video)
- The Quest for Programming Nirvana: On Programming Game Systems in Haskell; a Master Thesis on programming game systems in Haskell
- Functional Programming and 3D Games (thesis, PDF)
- Computer Games' - trying to implement the game flow of a computer game
- The Next Mainstream Programming Languages: A Game Developer's Perspective (PPT, PDF) presentation by Tim Sweeney
- wxHaskell - A Portable and Concise GUI Library for Haskell (PDF) - describes an implementation of an asteroids game, wxAsteroids
- Haskell for Games! Blog post, with PDF slides from AngloHaskell talk.
- Postmortem: Naughty Dog's Jak and Daxter: the Precursor Legacy; an article about a game developed with a DSL compiler written in Lisp
- Lambdor blog mostly about Yampa FRP and game development in Haskell with some tutorials
- LambdaCube 3D is a domain specific language and library that makes it possible to program GPUs in a purely functional style.
- GorillaBAS - this was an attempt on defining computer games, and build such a thing.
- https://github.com/mlesniak/game - Haskell/OpenGL/Chipmunk game prototypes
- hssdl-mac-example - how to make an SDL-using package buildable on mac OSX
- http://codepad.org/LRGEkkDp - initialization for SDL to start rendering OpenGL stuff
- http://hackage.haskell.org/package/stunts - A revival of the classic racing game Stunts to serve as a non-toy-sized example for LambdaCube.
- http://hackage.haskell.org/package/dow - Dungeons of Wor is an homage to the classic arcade game, Wizard of Wor. This game is also an experiment in functional reactive programming, so it might be a useful resource to anyone interested in this topic.
- Epidemic: a small game for Android devices. As an added bonus a complete development environment for the game can be built with Docker using the docker-epidemic-build-env repo.
- Possible Hackage categorisation guidelines: upload games to Game, engines and libs to Game Engine, or at least to some category beginning with Game, and check latest categories before uploading
There are several forums in the Haskell world where game development can be discussed:
- The Haskell Café mailing list
- This page
- Special Interest Groups » Games at Haskeller.com
- haskell-game at GitHub
- Haskell Game Development at reddit
The GitHub page awesome-gamedev contains a list of general forums for game development, as well as lists of tools, utilities, libraries (some in Haskell) and learning resources.
Is Hackage missing a useful data structure or library for some functionality that would benefit game programming? Suggestions for useful things can be added here as potential projects to hack on.
- Binding to fmod
- Binding to enet for multiplayer games. (jeffz is working on this).