Revision as of 12:18, 26 January 2007
1 HaBench: The Haskell Benchmark Suite
Recent discussions have illustrated the need for an up-to-date Haskell benchmark suite. The goal would be to package a number of representative benchmarks, written in Haskell, which users can run on their machine. Gathering (and publishing) performance numbers for these benchmarks on a number of different machines will hopefully help in guiding future development of both Haskell compilers and programs.
- Kenneth Hoste - boegel on #haskell@FreeNode (ideas/advice/Wiki page maintainer)
- Donald Bruce Stewart - dons on #haskell@FreeNode (darcs repo maintainer (probably))
- Andy Georges - Itkovian on #haskell@FreeNode (measurements/analysis/advice)
- John Meacam - JohnMeacam on #haskell@FreeNode (advice/JHC support)
- Arthur van Leeuwen - earthy on #haskell@FreeNode (Computer Language Shootout man-on-the-insde)
- Neil Mitchell - ndm on #haskell@FreeNode (suggestions/Yhc support/user)
- <add your name here if you want to contribute!>
- start from the (out-of-date?) nofib benchmark suite (GHC-only, includes ghcisms) (website)
- include Computer Language Shootout submissions (website)
- microbenchmarks for comparison with C (for example bytecopying) (dons)
- both a Haskell98 and Haskell'-only (sub)suite (JohnMeacam)
- multiple Haskell compilers (GHC, JHC, ...)
- maintain benchmark according to Hackage (Hackage list)
- Rename this project as nofib, otherwise it is like that people will have to run both this and nofib, because people will ask for the nofib results as well
- Libraries and tools in Haskell
Random notes are below.
- (JohnMeacham) Insert non-formatted text here pretty much every compiler has a mode similar to 'ghc --make', so just let the user specify an arbitrary command line for the compiler to use, like 'jhc -v -flint $< -o $@' or 'ghc --make $< -o $@'
1.4 More info?
- #haskell IRC channel at Freenode
- initial thread @ Haskell mailing list
- follow-up thread @ Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Comments? Feel free to add them! Suggestions? Mail Kenneth at kenneth [dot] hoste [at] elis [dot] ugent [dot] be .