Parsec is an industrial strength, monadic parser combinator library for Haskell. It can parse context-sensitive, infinite look-ahead grammars but it performs best on predictive (LL) grammars.
Parsec lets you construct parsers by combining higher-order Combinators to create larger expressions. Combinator parsers are written and used within the same programming language as the rest of the program. The parsers are first-class citizens of the language , unlike Happy parsers, which must be generated via a preprocessor.
An example for parsing a simple grammar of expressions can be found here.
Much more documentation can be found on the parsec website.
This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
- Write Yourself a Scheme in 48 Hours/Parsing. Note, that where the example uses the read function, the Token module of Parsec could have been used, to handle numbers.
See also the list of reverse dependencies for Parsec.
Parsec clones in other languages
- PCL for O'Caml http://lprousnth.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/pcl.pdf
- JParsec for Java http://jparsec.codehaus.org/JParsec+Overview
- NParsec, JParsec ported to C# http://jparsec.codehaus.org/NParsec+Tutorial
- Ruby Parsec, JParsec ported to Ruby http://jparsec.codehaus.org/Ruby+Parsec
- FParsec for F# http://www.quanttec.com/fparsec/
- Parsec-Erlang, http://bitbucket.org/dmercer/parsec-erlang/ is a faithful reproduction of Parsec in Erlang (there is also an older toy Parsec-like parser that isn't monadic, nor does it give error messages: http://www.engr.uconn.edu/~jeffm/Source/Erlang/)
- AliceParsec for Alice ML http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/alice/contribs.html
- Parsnip for C++ http://parsnip-parser.sourceforge.net/
- Somewhere there is a Nemerle port
- Pysec for Python http://www.valuedlessons.com/2008/02/pysec-monadic-combinatoric-parsing-in.html
Interesting non-Parsec parser combinator libraries:
- Spirit for C++ http://spirit.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
- Adventures in parsing by Magnus Therning
- More adventures in parsing
- Adventures in parsing, part 3
- Adventures in parsing, part 4
- Adventures in Parsec by Antoine Latter
- Parsec on Stack Overflow