(→Why mentioning anyone who encourage learning ?: rp)
Revision as of 16:34, 25 November 2011
- Thanks. --Gwern 03:02, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Ashley, is Checkuser installed? I tried Special:Checkuser which is where the MW docs say it should be, but that's an error. --Gwern 04:14, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Neither one seems to work. Are you sure we have checkuser working? --Gwern 16:12, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
Hello--just FYI, I noticed a bunch of spam accounts getting created today (User:Buyclomipramine, User:Buyzyvox and the like). I see from some other talk pages that you're already aware of the issue. The folks on #haskell seem to agree that a simple captcha might cut down on such nonsense. The current sign-up procedure is pretty easy, and I don't think it's too much to ask for new contributors to (say) "Use GHCI to find out the type of this Haskell expression" before creating an account :-) Best regards, Wapcaplet 17:18, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Probably. However, I don't have access to that part of the configs - Ashley does. If you want to suggest to Ashley we turn back on either requesting via email accounts or enable CAPTCHAs, then I wouldn't oppose it. However, supposedly they're busy working on an upgrade, so it might be better to let them focus on that. --Gwern 02:58, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
- BTW, it doesn't actually help to revert or blank spam anywhere except the main articlespace. It just clutters up the RCs and makes it harder for me to quickly navigate the forms. --Gwern
- Duly noted. If it happens again, I'll ignore it unless they replace the main page or any other real content. Wapcaplet 18:28, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
The Amanoliu user should be blocked for page removal. Thanx Dan
Agree with all your points, Gwern. Probably I have overreacted, somehow. And you have, also, noticed the cause and pasted that paragraph, at the bottom of that discussion page: High pression caused by extra short deadlines and overloading, which actually is repeating anually, well, I do not know on what base. The calendar, :) I presume.
On the other side I did not belive that users with basically no contribution and censorship based activity , will feel a one week blockage as a big problem.
Opening a blog or other site about unethical conduct in Universities, non scientific promotion, plagiarism is a good idea.
Thank you and keep in touch,
- It may not be a big problem for them but it accomplished its purpose, ending the edit-warring. --Gwern 15:38, 21 November 2011 (UTC)
3.2 Why mentioning anyone who encourage learning ?
Because every year, in january, there is a session of exams, and on the banner you, and everybody can read something like: "X is whishing you good teachers and real (i.e. not fake) exams !" Should a teacher be a propagandist for culture and learning,or not ? Should be an equidistant person a propagandist for teaching, learning and fair exams,or not ? Oh Gwern, if by any chance YOU or anybody else had said "Teach Haskell and have good marks on your exams !" on a TV channel, at a maximum audience hour, probably that banner will be on the banners page. In my opinion such a message deserves to be. In fact you have hosted such messages like "Learn Haskell for the Great God !" I may ask myself, in the same style: Is the haskell.org website a religious community ? Why did it is hosting messages about God ?
- There is no such thing. Perhaps you are mistakenly referring to "Learn You a Haskell for Great Good". --Gwern
And now, you know the right answer of both questions raised in the begining : Because we are encouraging people to use a good language, and anybody can join us, saying: "Learn Haskell ! Pass your exams ! Let you have real serious teachers !" In the spirit of free speech. of course.
- Free speech does not apply on Haskell wiki or the English wiki. In any case, you have, to some extent, forfeited some of the good faith due you by your troublesome edits.--Gwern 16:34, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
If you can provide a banner: Gwern said "Students have to study and pass the exams!" it is also usable.Anyway would you like to make a banner ?
Happy hunting and checking, If any doubt do not hesitate to ask for help, translations etc. Sincerely yours Ha$kell
And,please, put this idea in it's place: a user said you may have banners promoting the study and especially the study of Haskell ? What the other users said ?
- I don't understand most of what you wrote. Banners invoking politics and complaints about your work conditions are not suitable content for the Haskell wiki. If there are any similar edits which I missed, I would appreciate your removing them. --Gwern 16:34, 25 November 2011 (UTC)