Agree with all your points, Gwern. Probably I have overreacted, somehow. And you have, also, noticed the cause and pasted that paragraph, at the bottom of that discussion page: High pression caused by extra short deadlines and overloading, which actually is repeating anually, well, I do not know on what base. The calendar, :) I presume.
On the other side I did not belive that users with basically no contribution and censorship based activity , will feel a one week blockage as a big problem.
Opening a blog or other site about unethical conduct in Universities, non scientific promotion, plagiarism is a good idea.
Thank you and keep in touch,
The Amanoliu user should be blocked for page removal. Thanx Dan
- Thanks. --Gwern 03:02, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Ashley, is Checkuser installed? I tried Special:Checkuser which is where the MW docs say it should be, but that's an error. --Gwern 04:14, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Neither one seems to work. Are you sure we have checkuser working? --Gwern 16:12, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
Hello--just FYI, I noticed a bunch of spam accounts getting created today (User:Buyclomipramine, User:Buyzyvox and the like). I see from some other talk pages that you're already aware of the issue. The folks on #haskell seem to agree that a simple captcha might cut down on such nonsense. The current sign-up procedure is pretty easy, and I don't think it's too much to ask for new contributors to (say) "Use GHCI to find out the type of this Haskell expression" before creating an account :-) Best regards, Wapcaplet 17:18, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Probably. However, I don't have access to that part of the configs - Ashley does. If you want to suggest to Ashley we turn back on either requesting via email accounts or enable CAPTCHAs, then I wouldn't oppose it. However, supposedly they're busy working on an upgrade, so it might be better to let them focus on that. --Gwern 02:58, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
- BTW, it doesn't actually help to revert or blank spam anywhere except the main articlespace. It just clutters up the RCs and makes it harder for me to quickly navigate the forms. --Gwern
- Duly noted. If it happens again, I'll ignore it unless they replace the main page or any other real content. Wapcaplet 18:28, 14 July 2010 (UTC)