- How do I install Yi?
- get it from Hackage. Configure, compile and install Yi as you would do for any other Cabal package.
- Setup.hs does not compile!
- You need to use Cabal version 1.2.3. To make sure you use it, do:
ghc -package Cabal-184.108.40.206 --make Setup.hs ./Setup configure ...
- Setup configure fails with
Setup.hs: Package yi-0.3 can't be built on this system.
- It means that you have no UI package available. You need VTY or GTK2hs installed. Get them from Hackage.
- On Mac OS X if you get an error message similar to this:
yi: can't load .so/.DLL for: gthread-2.0 (dlopen(libgthread-2.0.dylib, 10): image not found)
- then your dynamic library search path variable is probably not set correctly. You can set it (in Bash) using:
- (Adjust the specific path to your system. You can find the right location using locate libgthread)
- ByteString problems: Yi as of 27 January 2008 cannot use the most recent ByteString library (because of the regexp libraries) which is 0.9.0.4 - it needs a version like 0.9 or 0.9.0.1. You may have the correct ByteString library installed, but still see an error like:
Couldn't match expected type
against inferred type `B.ByteString'
In the second argument of `renderBS', namely `(B.pack str)'
In the expression: renderBS (styleToAttr sty) (B.pack str)
In the definition of `withStyle':
withStyle sty str = renderBS (styleToAttr sty) (B.pack str)
- This is because versions of ByteString often aren't compatible, and in this case, the VTY library was compiled with a different version.
- I get
No instance for (RegexLike Regex B.ByteString)
- The proper fix requires some more cabal features which hopefully come with Cabal 1.4. So long we have a workaround as described in this message.
How to Configure Yi
You can find configuration file examples in the 'examples/' directory, or online at http://code.haskell.org/yi/examples/.
A good way to start is to copy yi.hs in your ~/.yi directory (create it if needed), and hack as needed.