These instructions are very old and probably don't work anymore! Take them with a grain of salt.
Installing the cairo backend
As of the 0.6 release of diagrams, the SVG backend has replaced the cairo backend as the default "out of the box" backend. However, the cairo backend still has a few advantages (support for text alignment, embedded images, and animations, as well as the ability to output PNG, PDF, and PS files). However, installing the cairo backend can be more challenging, especially on OS X.
You will need to have the cairo C library (along with development headers) installed through your operating system's package manager or otherwise. After that, it should ideally be enough to run
cabal install gtk2hs-buildtools cabal install -fcairo diagrams
(If you don't want the SVG backend you can add the flag
-f-svg.) If you have already installed
gtk2hs-buildtools in the past then you probably don't need to reinstall it; though note that in order to build
cairo under GHC 7.6 you need to have a recent enough version of
gtk2hs-buildtools; otherwise you will get some error messages having to do with the FFI.
This will probably work under Linux/Unix but some workarounds may currently be required on Windows or Mac OS X; see below. Please edit this page to add information about any problems you encounter, workarounds you discover, etc.
Installing on Windows
Here are instructions for installing gtk2hs on Windows. Note that Haskell's gtk package requires gtk+-2.x, not 3.x. gtk+-2.24 is the most recent in this series at the time of this writing, and works.
Installing on Mac OS X
- make sure you have Xquartz (aka X windows) installed. GTK needs it.
- make sure you're using a 64bit haskell install (you can check this by typing maxBound :: Int in ghci and seeing if you get 9223372036854775807).
- make sure you're using homebrew, and uninstall gtk and **ALL** of its dependencies (you can do that yourself e.g. type brew list | xargs brew uninstall but note this will remove *all* homebrew packages).
- type brew update
- type brew install gtk
- type gtk-demo to check gtk installed ok.
- It may be necessary to set a path for pkg-config to find some install packages:
- cabal install gtk2hs-buildtools
- cabal install gtk
- If you want to try the example in the diagrams tutorial type cabal install diagrams-cairo.
- Some users report problems with chart-gtk (which has nothing to do with diagrams) so ignore any other installation instructions which tell you to install it and run an example program called plott.
Old instructions (now superseded):
Here are instructions for getting gtk installed under OS X Lion with GHC 7.2. They should also work for 7.4.
Here is more discussion about installation under OS X Lion. See also this reddit thread.