VirtuaHac is a hackathon for the rest of us! Instead of travel and lodging expenses, we plan to host a collective hacking session using technology and distance collaboration tools.
1 In Progress
- As a general discussion point, an IRC channel #VirtuaHac exists on FreeNode.
Please add links to Hangouts for your projects here:
2 Collaboration Tools
The tools we plan to use are:
- Google+ (http://plus.google.com) hangouts for real-time video (or audio-only) chat.
- Git/Darcs: We recommend (but don't require) using github or patch-tag for projects that are hacked on. You probably want to create a hackathon-specific repo to make it easier for hackathon members to collaborate without handing out permissions to the real code. Even if it's not through github or patch-tag, anyone sponsoring a project will need to provide an easy way to manage collective access to the source code. If that's 'darcs send', you'll have to be pretty responsive.
- This Wiki: Make sure you have a HaskellWiki account, as we'll be posting links to current projects here.
3 VirtuaHac 2011.10
The first VirtuaHac is October 21-23, 2011.
Signups (include your time zone as GMT +/- x, and projects you know something about and are willing or interested in working on):
- Chris Smith (GMT-7)
- snap-typed-sessions (mysnapsession in Hackage)
- gloss-web (https://github.com/cdsmith/gloss-web)
- mvclient (in Hackage) - willing only if anyone else is so motivated
- GHC Issue #4900 or #5527 - would need someone experienced in GHC
- I'm also happy to join in other projects
- Clint Moore
- I'll work on anything I'm capable of.
- Etienne `AtnNn` Laurin (UTC-4)
- Anything else
- Jens Petersen (JST, +0900)
- may work on cabal/packaging, or join others
- Dan Burton (GMT-6)
- Anything I can help with
- Edward Amsden
- I'll be open to working on anything, but I will be at a conference so my time will be limited. I'm especially open to learning to hack on GHC.
- The Yesod Team (possibly any time zone)
- Robert Massaioli (GMT+10)
- Maybe some htodo  cleanup work.
- One of the many projects I have been meaning to finish.
- Dirk Hünniger (GMT+2)
- in my project wb2pdf: improving code quality and use higher lever strutures
- chat with other haskellers
- lots of non Haskell stuff todo that weekend, especially my 31st birthday
Once VirtuaHac starts, we'll create a Lobby section of this wiki page. To start up a collaboration:
- Create a Hangout on Google+. Name it to indicate it's part of VirtuaHac.
- Post a link to the Hangout in the Lobby section.
- As applicable, post links to version control or other resources under the project in Lobby, too.
As needed, also feel free to create "VirtuaHac Break Room" Hangouts, for chatting among people who aren't currently working on a collaboration. These could be a good chance to chat with others about what they've got in the pipe, and start collaborations.
If a collaboration is at or very close to 10 people (the size limit for Google+ hangouts), you may want to break it into subprojects.