The names in the haskell.org domain point to three machines:
This machine responds to the names haskell.org, www.haskell.org, bugs.haskell.org, haskell.cs.yale.edu. It's at Yale university.
MRTG: All network traffic.
This machine responds to the names darcs.haskell.org, hackage.haskell.org, cvs.haskell.org, haskell.galois.com, monk.galois.com. It's run by Galois.
- darcs repositories for GHC and core libraries, http://darcs.haskell.org/
- HackageDB, http://hackage.haskell.org/
- old CVS repositories, http://cvs.haskell.org/
- various Trac instances, e.g. http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc
This machine responds to the names community.haskell.org, projects.haskell.org, code.haskell.org, trac.haskell.org, rt.haskell.org, nun.haskell.org. See this message.
- darcs repositories for anyone's Haskell projects, http://code.haskell.org/
- web-space for projects, http://projects.haskell.org/
- admin for the above, http://community.haskell.org/
2 Relation between the services
I'm wondering what the relationship is (if any) between code.haskell.org and darcs.haskell.org.
- darcs.haskell.org hosts ghc, the core libs and many others. The server is maintained by Galois. Because it hosts the most central bits of the haskell platform, security is fairly tight and getting an account there is hard. There are very few community members with root privileges.
- community.haskell.org was created precisely to provide hosting to the wider community. It is hosted commercially, paid for by haskell.org's Google Summer of Code funds. We have several community admins with root privileges.
Should my projects be hosted at darcs or code?
- code.haskell.org. It's easy to get an account there via the web submission system: http://community.haskell.org/admin/
Is one more blessed/preferred over the other for community projects?
- Yes, code.haskell.org is preferred.
If my project is currently on darcs, should I migrate to code?
- You can if you like, there is no need to do so however. Accounts on darcs.haskell.org are not going to be revoked as far as I know. The community server is an addition, not a replacement.
If I have an account on darcs, will it work on code, or do I need to get a new account on code?
- They are totally separate systems.