A guided tour of ThreadScope
In this tutorial, we'll be working through concrete examples on using ThreadScope to debug the performance of parallel programs.
We aim to keep each module in the tutorial self-contained, so you can either follow the progression suggested or jump to just the sections we need.
This tutorial is written with the following software versions in mind.
- ThreadScope 0.2.1
- GHC 7.4. (earlier versions work, but lack more advanced features like spark events)
- Installation: install ThreadScope and run a sample trace
- Hello world: run ThreadScope on a small test program
- Initial statistics: collect some simple statistics
- Profile: examine the profile for a real program
- Profile 2: examine the profile for an improved program
- Zoom: zooming and bookmarking
- Consolidate: tease out the sequential parts of code
- Spark overview
- Spark rates: study spark creation/conversion
- Spark rates 2: spark debugging continued
- Downloads: examples used in this tutorial